Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Laura Marling at Lee's Palace

A bunch of my friends and I battled through the falling snow last night and made our way to Lee's Palace to see Laura Marling.

Her first album, Alas I Cannot Swim was a collection of beautiful, frail and harmonic songs with strong folk underpinnings. Despite its playfulness, it did have some dark, and at times eerie undertones. Which made it all the more intriguing.

Last night, Laura Marling played songs from her upcoming album I Speak Because I Can, which will be released on April 6 in North America. Her performance was deliberate and mature. Her voice was strong, yet never sounded forced. Her new songs are darker, deeper and even more satisfying. One of her new songs "Devil's Spoke" (check out the video below) is less acoustic with more expansive arrangements, including some by Mumford & Sons. It also has a distinct Celtic feel to it.

Needless to say, I'm really looking forward to her new album.

This video was filmed in India while Marling and Mumford & Sons were on tour.

1 comment:

  1. so so so good. sounded a lot more powerful at the concert though.

    ReplyDelete